Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Give Your Backyard Birds Some Water

Like all animals, birds need water. So attracting them to your backyard means they need more than just food. Especially during the dry times of summer and even winter, giving them a bird bath makes a nice difference.

Personally, I love to watch the birds at the bird bath. They do a great job of keeping me entertained. Plus watching them is so educational for the kids. I love to have them watch through the binoculars or spotting scope and help them identify the birds at the bath.

My yard boasts several bird baths set in different places. I like to have the birds have plenty of opportunity for drinking and giving themselves a little bath. If you have a large enough yard, that works well for you, too.

If you have a small yard, just one will be enough for you. Place it on a flat surface so that it won't tip. I like the pedestal kind of bird bath that sits right on the ground. That also allows me to move it around a bit.

Why would I want to move the bird baths around? For several reasons. First, because of the sun and it's heat at different times of the year. In the strong heat of summer, the water can get pretty hot, so I set my bird bath in a shadier spot, but in the cooler times of the year, that sun can warm up the water, even defrost it in winter. But, I also like to move the bird baths around so that the grass underneath gets a chance to renew itself.

A bird bath is a valuable addition for attracting backyard birds and it can be a nice addition to the decor of your yard.

No comments:

Post a Comment